I began the month of May by attending the annual district Rotary conference in Maturín, a small city in eastern Venezuela. Despite advanced notice of the event itself (but absolutely no details), I made a last minute decision to attend, and am glad I did. The conference restored my good opinion of Rotary in Venezuela.
It may seem strange for one who is receiving over $11,000 from an organization to study and live abroad for one year to have anything but a good opinion of that organization. But I must admit that what I’ve seen of Rotary in Venezuela comes closer to my idea of an old-men’s country club than a serious service organization. Fellowship, not service seems to be their principle purpose. Fellowship is important, but in a country with so much need, so much poverty, it is not acceptable for an organization purportedly dedicated to service to say they cannot find a service project. And yet that is what I hear. The problem, as I see it, is not that they cannot find a project, but that that is not where they are investing their energy. When I visit clubs and ask what activities or projects they are involved in I receive varied responses: “Ah! We have this house in Colonial Tovar where we go to barbeque with our friends,” or “we get a group together and go to the country club sometimes,” or “we play dominoes and drink whisky on the rocks, ever so often,” or “we’re planning a trip to the beach for next weekend, would you like to come?”
It’s this strong emphasis on sharing with friends that I hear the most, although I occasionally get the more service oriented answers as well. My club, for example, sponsors an afterschool program in a neighborhood that used to be low-income, but is now more lower-middle class. That’s wonderful, Rotary is helping the middle class escape its poverty! There is one club that does fund a school in a truly poor neighborhood. I visited the school after the district conference and left with good impressions. But for most of the clubs I’ve had contact with, vaccinating children or donating school supplies once a year is not enough, in my opinion, to be considered a service organization. At a typical meeting I often hear more complaining and criticism of the Chavez government than discussion of how to help others, leading Rotary in Venezuela to more closely resemble a political association than a service organization.
But what Rotary here lacks in service projects, it makes up in hospitality. Venezuelans are inherently open, friendly, outgoing, gracious people. Wonderful and warm conversationalists, they have a way of making strangers instantly feel like friends. And they treat new friends like gold. So while I might perceive a gap between Rotary International’s core principles and Rotary Venezuela’s priorities, my personal experience with the Rotarians here has been largely positive.
Even before I set foot in Venezuela, the Rotarians here were lending a hand. They helped me apply to the university, found me accommodations my first nights in the city, and a reliable ride from the airport to my hotel. My host counselor, Arnaldo, called me my second day in the country wanting to know “what my greatest need was at the moment and how he could help.” I never feel neglected at a club meeting, but rather attended like a king. Invitations to their homes or country clubs are as abundant as their welcoming smiles. The idea that rotary is a family is probably better expressed here than anywhere else in the world.
It was at the district conference in Maturín that this hunch was driven home. The conference was typical in many respects. Ceremonious welcomes, several plenary sessions, a few inspirational speeches, and 15 minute breaks for mini-sandwiches and orange juice. During these breaks I had the chance to mingle. I would start a conversation with the aging man to my left and learn that he is the ex-ambassador to Namibia. Later I would sit down next to a friendly looking fellow and lo and behold, the ex-vice minister of tourism! Rotarians would start conversations with me as well, always eager to hear my story. I met many wonderful people (all extraordinary regardless of their occupation) who made me feel incredibly welcome over the course of the weekend. It was at this conference that I experienced the “spirit” of Rotary as Venezuelans understand it.
Given my above critique, I'd like to insert a disclaimer here. While I may be a bit disappointed with Rotary’s service “record” in Venezuela, I do recognize and respect Rotary International’s dedication to service. I realize that I am a direct beneficiary of this service and am extremely grateful for the opportunity to live and study here for a year. I admire the work they’ve done to eradicate polio and strongly support their international Peace Studies program. I also appreciate the unique opportunities that studying abroad with Rotary afford. As an ambassadorial scholar I am required to give at least 10 presentations to Rotary and non-Rotary audiences in Venezuela. These presentations serve as a formal space for cultural exchange and a way toward international understanding. I talk about Maryland as well as my experiences and impressions of Venezuela, often drawing contrasts between the two. We discuss politics, culture, perceptions, and misconceptions. Often, my ambassador qualities are challenged with hard questions concerning the tensions between our respective countries. One learns to be sensitive to the controversial topics of the host country, treating them carefully and diplomatically. Such an ambassadorial responsibility, if taken seriously, extends beyond Rotary venues and into everyday actions, making the study abroad experience much more enriching and purpose-driven.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment